Sunday, October 14, 2012

GOING COASTAL Part 1, Sand 'n Sunset

The first week of October presented a weather phenomenon to the Northwest: unseasonably warm, clear, sunny weather.  More unique was the fact that the weather on the Pacific Coast was the same.  My DH encouraged me to take myself, Pat, and our car in a westward direction, so with only 2 hours'-worth of planning, we were off!  Even in the middle of summer, the weather can never be guaranteed to be dry, let alone warm out there on the coastal beaches. But it was going to be that way for us!
(Funny thing, I noticed that Pat's blog is named almost the same as I titled this one!)

We stayed in a charming little place on the south-central coast: Seabrook.
After "moving in", we drove a little bit south and walked onto the beach just prior to sunset.
I had had cataract surgery just 3 days before, so the following photos were taken while wearing a patch on one eye, and with my new, lighter-weight mid-sized camera. 

Reflections in the outlet:


Snowy Plovers:

It was quite windy, which is why I protected my eye with the patch.
I felt photo-handicapped, so just - literally - pointed and clicked.
I loved how wind carved different abstracts in the sand:
   



Everything seemed monochromatic, especially as seen through one eye only:

And then suddenly the sun showed up just in time to go down!


1 comment:

Lynda said...

I don't know how you did it 3 days out of surgery. It makes me nervous to think about what would have happened if you had had sand blow into your eye! Woops! I'm sounding like a mom! . . .Well, I have to admit that the results are beautiful. The first reflections one is my all-round favorite of this post, but I also love the second sand/wind sculpture. Hope you are enjoying the new camera!