Monday, October 15, 2012

GOING COASTAL Part 3, Going Inland

 One day was spent mostly inland.
This included a lunch stop at the rustic Lake Quinault Lodge, which
was built in the early 1920s in the grand hotel tradition:


Lake Quinault:


In our walk around the premises, we were excited to
see banks and banks of hydrangeas, antique-looking, as if they had been planted soon after the lodge was built. The original Adirondack chair made a nice vignette: 

The really surprising thing about these hydrangeas was the
unusual purple coloring on some of the leaves.  Not an end-of-season brown, but
pure purple:

The Lake Quinault area borders a rain forest.  We did not take the time
to hike within a rain forest, but these waterfalls give a hint of
almost-rain-forest-type growth.
I still need to learn more about my mid-sized camera to be 
able to photograph waterfalls the way I want to:


Just a short walk into the perimeter of a rain forest, and growth like this begins to appear.
This is only part of an immense living cedar tree, which is as big around as a garage at its base:

Some remains of old growth appear to have been painted.
No, this is the true color:

In the mountains close to where we live is an area known as
"Gold Creek". But that got its name from the ore found there.  Autumn leaves from the trees above this Quinault area steamlette reflect
in the shallow water, making a true "gold creek":

On the way back out to the coast, I had to quickly pull onto the shoulder.
I can't believe, since I was driving, how I spotted these tiny webs from a distance!
It must have been how the light made them glow. I have to chuckle, thinking that the extended dry spell we have had gave this house-builder ever more time to "add on" and remodel the original.
Not "wind-catchers", but nature's "sun-catchers":

We returned that evening to the cottage just in time to watch
the sunset from above.  No time to get down to the beach, but
this suffices:

The colors were brighter on the sand than in the sky at times:


1 comment:

Lynda said...

You were driving with one eye!? And only 3 days to acclimate to it? Oh my!

I love the colors you have captured with this post. The purple leaves on the hydrangea, the red in the tree trunk, and the gold in the stream; these are truly exquisite, and if you were not "you" with your adherence to SOOC shots, I would have thought you had enhanced them.

Being stuck at a desk all day as I am, I take vicarious pleasure in accompanying you on the journey. Thank you for taking the time to share and post.