Tuesday, October 16, 2012

GOING COASTAL Part 4, Driftwood Architecture

Well, this post is less about photography, and more about human interest.
My interest.  Driftwood shelters made by humans.


I really enjoyed locating these structures because I know how much fun they are to build!
Since my family had property near Cape Flattery, my sister and I would spend hours all summer long
designing and constructing and enjoying our shelters.  Some would last the whole summer;
others would have only bare bones of the larger logs still there when we next returned.
This one was a major undertaking:

Here we have the twin tee-pee look:

And a cave:

Many of ours would look like this when we returned.
This has great "bone structure" though:


Room with a view.  But it definitely won't be there "next time" - too close to the high tide line:


Imagination, muscle, and materials at hand are all it takes:

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Love, love, love the fact that you shared something of your past - a sweet remembrance of times spent with your sister. I would love to have more such inclusions in your posts.

Your descriptions, as always, are perfect, and the variety is surprising. I haven't seen anything like this, so now that I have a picture to accompany your personal story, my imagination is off and wandering . . . what kind of shelter would I have built? . . . hmmmm . . .