Thursday, October 18, 2012

FRUSTRATED FALL FINDER

Last week I was sure Autumn was simply going to dry up and blow away.
We had very little leaf color; due, I am sure, to the record length of time here without any rain, and with higher than average temperatures.
So, before  the season faded - literally - away, I went to a  couple of local nurseries 
to at least find colorful pumpkin displays to photograph.

On the way.  I love autumn color even more when it is paired with weathered wood:

I was very disappointed.  These 3 photos were all I could make.
The patches and usual display places were bare:


But I do like to try to make a pumpkin photo with mixed textures in vignette when I can.
Here I also moved around in order to try to get some shadows.


Again, color and old wood. Mt. Si makes the backdrop:

On to the next nursery in which I am usually never disappointed.  
This time it was closed that day!
I had to content myself with what was around the perimeter of the field "parking lot":


While we lived in Hungary, we learned a lot about sunflowers.  There they are grown in immense fields all over the countryside, as far as one can see in every direction.  They are left in the fields until they are completely black.  They are harvested in that form, the easier to extract the seeds and then the oil.  Hungarians use a LOT of oil in their cooking.
These are not that far gone, but they reminded me of Magyar sunflowers:


Down the road:

The Northwest might be the only place where fall color can grow from a farm fence post:

No comments: