Tuesday, January 29, 2013

THAW AT THE FALLS


Well, mid-winter blahs have set in, brought on by gray drizzle and boring weather.
I thought to visit the Falls to see if there was any ice left.  No.
It was still cold, and the flying mist was frigid, but there was actually nothing frozen this time.
This post represents boredom!

(A side-note; a little story of interest: While I was there during the freeze, I walked near a tree next to the one shown here. One worker was on the ground, and another, with a chain saw, was high in that 100-foot tree.  Safety dictated that the icy branches be removed before they broke off. He was on his way down, and exclaimed to his buddy, "I have never been so frightened on a job as I was just now!"  This burly lumberjack went on to say how the rumble-force of the falls made the tree sway, which ice-laden tree was hanging over the steep bank as shown here, and the ice was falling hard, and he looked down -  way down - and...  !)

This is the same place, just a week ago when all the growth, above and below, was encased in ice:


Now:

Then:

At least the once ice-carpeted stairs are now open for safe foot travel, and
I could read the wonderfully descriptive words carved into the cement:



2 comments:

pat said...

I agree....the weather right now is so bleh and non-photogenic with the flat light. I am so glad you took a shot of the captioned stairs! I love those, and I think they get overlooked. Makes me sad to think that they've trimmed some of those trees. I understand the danger, but there won't be anything left!

Lynda said...

The falls are truly beautiful, but I have a hard time now with the association to my friend's death. I can only imagine the healthy fear the worker felt on sawing down those branches!