Thursday, January 3, 2013

A REALLY FRESH NEW YEAR'S DAY

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Yes, it was a stunningly lovely morning, with this sunrise as seen from our front porch.
However, the day only got better.  Thank you, Dear Son-in-law for praising the scenery your family saw as your returned home "over The Pass".  At waffle breakfast at our house, our daughter and husband described the hoarfrost wonderland they had passed through the afternoon before.
So, off my husband and I drove to see for ourselves.


We spent the rest of the day enjoying this magical countryside.
We got there by randomly choosing a farm road after traveling over the Pass some distance.

I did not have my macro lens with me; or rather I did, but it was much too cold (20 degrees) to change out the lens:




All these photos look like a light snowfall had covered the trees.
No.  There was a lot of snow on the ground, but these needles and 
any bare branches were encased in white rather than clear hoarfrost:


Leaving the back roads:

Returning back over The Pass, of course we had to exit the freeway to
pay homage to the home we owned and lived in year 'round for 8 years, 
near the ski area, Alpental:

These were every-day winter scenes for us, which still 
delight us:

A walk down (or rather across) Memory Lane for us.
This is the footbridge at the entrance to the Alpental ski area:
Again,  a HUGE thank you to Jeff for saying at breakfast, 
"Grandma would have been stopping every 5 minutes to take photos."
Indeed, that is just about how it was.

3 comments:

Lynda said...

This is so beautiful! I wish I had known you during the "Pass" years, and could have shared in all of the wondrous memories. I've missed the snow this year (although it is a nuisance when driving to work), and I'm grateful to see these beautiful pictures to capture the magic of the season. Love you!

pat said...

As I said in the previously unseen post....I am green green green with envy that you were able to get out and have an excursion and see all those wonderful sights! What a great time the two of you must've had. You are so lucky to have Dick to share those times with and know that he appreciates all that snow as well. LOVE that sunrise! The colors are amazing. I wish I could see those from my house, rather than teases through the trees.

Nikki Cherry said...

I second what Lynda said! Would have loved to have experienced that.
I love the contrast that snow plays on trees. Nice and frosted it's really beautiful.