Sunday, January 6, 2013

BEAUTY IN A VACANT LOT

Lucky for me, I was stopped at a red light while out on errands on a Bluebird Day last week.
While stopped, I noticed the sun was highlighting weeds 'n such in a vacant lot as it came up over a bank. That inconsequential piece of ground was so bright with sun-lit ice that I had to squint. 
I maneuvered the car over a couple of lanes so I could turn and park.
I did not have my macro lens with me, but
I thoroughly enjoyed tromping through the crusty hoarfrost-encased tangle of weeds:


The next 2 photos are of detested blackberry vines,
now looking at their very best, I think, wearing winter finery!


No more color on this fallen leaf, but I love the puckery stitched details 
of the veins: 

Alder cones, the size of a pencil tip eraser:

 Nature's stenciling:

Hee, hee.  This IS garbage.  I hate seeing litter anywhere, but this color just popped
out of the frosty foliage:

Oregon Grape:



A nearby pond. Cattails shiver while ice-topped water starts to warm under the sun:

Then there is always the view from our front porch after coming home.
Mt. Si is always our faithful weather predictor:




3 comments:

Lynda said...

Here you go again - making the ordinary look extraordinary!!! A red napkin throw out as trash? - and you make it something wonderful. I love the little ice picks from the hoarfrost. Exquisite.

pat said...

Let's try Google. I really like these...you did a wonderful job, first off, of spotting all the possibilities and then taking the time to backtrack and capture them. You are getting some lovely bokeh with FujiSan, too! Really really like the contrast in the cattail shot between the warm tones of the pond and the cool shades of the cattails. Lovely hoar frost...lucky you!!

pat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.