Friday, July 27, 2012

FISHTOWN (More Michigan)

Welcome To Fishtown, an historic and lively little place on the Leelenau Peninsula, "Up North":


This was one of my favorite places!  The ambiance, aromas, sounds and sights reminded me of places near to my family's property not far from Cape Flattery in Washington.

Fishtown is authentic.  It was established as a fishing settlement in the early 1830s at the site of one of the oldest Ottawa villages in Michigan.
Now the shanties and wharves still serve the fishing tugs.

The local type of fish nets is much different than those of the Pacific Northwest, and offered great photo ops:




I had to chuckle at this one bit of non-authenticity.
First of all, the rope casings look modern, compared to the genuine Japanese floats my family has collected from remote Pacific beaches; secondly, how can an inland lake cough these up?
However, the proprietors laid no outward claims; it was only inferred.
The best part was, the opportunity for a photo "still-life":

To me, the reflection of this boat house was more interesting than the building:

2 comments:

pat said...

oh! You have some wonderful vignettes and angles with the buildings, and I LOVE the net perspectives you caught. Very very nice.

Lynda said...

Fascinating. I know nothing of fishing villages, fishnets, etc. Thank you for sharing. I couldn't help but notice that the first pictures grouped together could have been called "A Study in Grey" . . . a sort of camouflage, that would blend in so well with the waters surrounding. Just my own mind, wandering, I suppose. I loved hearing the details of your own experience - I had no idea! Thank you for taking me on the journey with you.