Monday, July 16, 2012

CONNECT THE DOTS ... er ... BARNS

 Pat and I  felt as if we were indeed connecting the "dots" by going from barn to barn along the country routes to our other destinations.  

Each one was unique; obviously designed by the original farmer and not by an architectural board. Many have attached silos:

Also evident were the lightening rods.  The really long barn roofs are prickly with phalanxes of them.

This farmhouse belongs to the above barn.
I really like that Mrs. Farmer had her say in exterior design too:

Striped silo:

And the farmer who gave a friendly wave when I held my camera high, asking permission
to photograph the barn.
He actually soon finished working the field and then pulled his tractor up to the fence to ask whatever it was "about barns" that was interesting enough to photograph!  Little did he know what conversation he was starting.
 Then he asked me, "Do you like draft horses?"  (Huh?  I know nothing about them.)
"Foh-a-low me dahown the row-ud".
We drove at putt-putt speed behind his tractor.

He was very proud to introduce us to
Beauty and Betty, a matched pair of percherons.
He uses them in plowing demonstrations.  Much better looking than his tractor!
What a friendly trio!

Then we "met" Cherry Hill Farm and the owner's son-in-law who owns an adjoining farm.  The complex has been in the family for over 100 years.  The original farmer started with a pair of Irish Shorthorns, which resultant herd (part of it) grazes here.  Was there ever a more bucolic scene?

The intent of that first farmer was to have relaxed, contented cows, so he determined to put a window at each stall!  Cherry Hill is still known as the "happy cow farm".


Pat and I were certainly happy to walk around the land with the gracious farmer.
Vintage and wonderful!:

More vintage.  
I still stand behind my observation that Michigan farms are completely tidy.
This is not junk; it is art, and a beloved old family member, deservedly put out to pasture. 

I love this vignette at Cherry Hill, with all the geometry, color, and shadow:

I need to throw in a lovely white barn after all that red.
Find any litter here?

2 comments:

pat said...

Nice! I love the grouping of reds, with a little touch of white thrown in. And, I am impressed that you used "phalanxes"!! How fun to see Beauty and Betty, too. Is that how a Michigan accent sounds? I never noticed it ;-)

Lynda said...

Truly lovely! I have never been to Michigan, but I HAVE been to Pennsylvania, and tooled through the Amish country, also incredibly pristine and with gorgeous barns. These, that you have captured here, are most like them. I particularly enjoyed seeing Beauty and Betty and the old car put out to pasture. Everything looks beautiful through your eyes . . . ahem . . . lens.