Friday, August 3, 2012

AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT

 I had spotted these morning glories climbing the fence at our local steam train "graveyard" display a few days earlier, but could not stop to make the photo.
I really wanted to capture the fresh blooms, delicate against the backdrop of massiveness and rusty paint. The morning I returned I was in luck, because this time the sun was at exactly the right angle to give a refurbishing intensity to the old metal.




I had never seen these relics with such a fervent presence.
Sun complimented the complementary colors:




In this part of the Northwest, things can grow just about anyplace.  This is the land of "nurse trees" in rain forests, and of saplings sprouting from fence posts and from cracks in concrete.
I had stopped to photograph the morning glories, but as I strolled the length of the old iron horses, I chuckled to see green things growing from the rust:

A sapling in the middle:

Ferns and moss and rivets:





There is beauty in improbable places

... and remarkable color too.  Here, the siding of a rail car has aged to resemble a child's finger-painting:


The sun that morning was the choreographer for a brief show just for me.
I pass by the line of trains nearly every day, and I have not seen the life I saw in them that morning, before or since.

2 comments:

pat said...

Oh lovely! You've made those rusty old hulks look good. I have often noticed the volunteer greenery amongst all the rust, and chuckle to myself. Life, indeed, will find a way. Gorgeous colors--the sun WAS just right!

Lynda said...

Who would have thought it!? Only you can see the magical greenery growing amongst rusting rivets! I particularly like picture #3. The colors are just glorious! Thank you for reminding me that there is a little wonder even amid the ruins . . .