Friday, May 24, 2013

NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE

Of course I had to stop on my return trip for another walk in the Nisqually Preserve.
The sun was shining this time.  Again, I was alone, which allowed me to feel the surroundings with full intensity.  I was so grateful!
I think I need to dedicate this little posting to my Dear S-in-L, Barbara.
She is an amazingly talented gardener, and tends to a garden so prolific that she can cut a variety of flowers
to fill vases throughout their So. California home, year 'round.
Well, she does not "know" Cottonwood!
Here the "fluffs" are blowing as thick as snow, and landing, of course
 on anything, everywhere in the forest.
(This photo is another stretched one - phooey)

So, Barb, here are the  Cottonwood fluffs:
They illuminate a dark spot amid sword ferns,  
looking like the fairies are having a celebration:



Here they are stuck to the remnants of last year's Fireweed:

Even spider webs catch the "fluff":

I grew up in a "playground" of the rain forests of the Olympic Penninsula.
A walk through the Nisqually is not the same as having the freedom of a whole forest, undisturbed
by population, but such a walk this day brings back wonderful memories.
I guess these Salmonberries are not ripe enough for the birds and bears:

There was lichen of all sorts, but my other pics got stretched sideways on this blog.
Here is Shelf Lichen:

I almost missed seeing this Blue Heron, he was so 
camoflaged in the woods:
I

What a stretch!  I hope he got what he was after!

2 comments:

pat said...

I LOVE the comment about the cottonwood seeds looking like fairies having a celebration!! I fully endorse that type of imagination and sentiment. And..I never tire of photos of herons. Nice find! What a lucky dual stop you had.

Lynda said...

I love the blue heron pictures! I miss them so much outside of my window in the Valley. These are gorgeous!