Saturday, May 25, 2013

A WALK IN THE (wet) WOODS

Over many, many years whenever we drive south more than a couple of hours we passed right over
the Nisqually Wildlife Preserve. 
Never more.  Since Pat and I visited it for the first time many weeks ago, I will find it hard not to stop.
I drove that way to visit friends this week, and took the time to immerse myself there again.
It was raining.  Hard.  But I was prepared, and undaunted.
I was also alone on my walk through the preserve.  I was reminded of how much I love
the northwest forests, which used to be my whole world as a child. 
I do my settings in my camera; I do not digitally-enhance after the fact.
The lush green here, in the rain, is as vibrant as were the reds of 
the southern Utah rocks:



I met a new duck!  Here is the Cinnamon Teal, being illusive.
It was after making the photo that I realized I had
also captured his mate, on the left:




There is no refraction in this raindrop on the wild rose, but
I love the distinct pink outline:

Okay, I really do not know what to do about my vertical photos getting turned sideways
and all stretched-out when I post.  This is so frustrating; I couldn't even post some of
my favorites from this outing because of that.
But I am including here a sort of abstract of a pond surface - even though it is skewed. 
It brought to mind Van Gogh's "Starry Night":

3 comments:

pat said...

Worth the wet walk! Even though it posted the wrong way, I love the abstract (as you know I would). It does bring to mind "Starry Night".

MaryLou said...

You never disappoint me, ML! I LOVE taking a journey with you through the woods. Wonderful!

MaryLou said...

You never disappoint me, ML! I LOVE taking a journey with you through the woods. Wonderful!