Thursday, March 28, 2013

MORE DIVERSION

While it was still snowing, I visited a favorite pond, 
anticipating great scenery with the new dimension of snow.
By the time I got there, the snow had melted.  
But I saw in the far distance (between the 2 tufts of reeds on the upper right, below)
what looked like snow-topped submerged logs.
Thinking it would be a good photo to zoom in to, I got out of the car:


"Whaaa?"  Not logs at all, but the most immense water fowl I have seen in the wild!
They are larger than the great blue heron, and heftier too.
These are Double-crested Cormorants.
They are giants compared to the regular shore cormorants.
"King of the Mountain":


These cormorants ride low in the water compared to other water fowl.
They were swimming as if performing water ballet:

I watched this dance so long that they began to 
resemble swimming cobras!

No comments: