Monday, March 11, 2013

MAUI - WOWIE! # 2

Humpback Whales, up close!

When I learned that Dear Husband and Brother-in-law had reserved places on a whale-watch boat, I was, of course, extremely excited.
However, when we got to the pier and I saw that our "boat" was actually nothing more than a rubber raft, I was extremely nervous!


Were we going to end up like this?
I feel sorry for this incident, but it was picturesque to me:

 Not to worry!  Our Captain, Steve, was a master at maneuvering the craft up close:

And of course, the Zodiac allowed us to be right at surface level:

It was thrilling to hear the underwater "bark" noise the humpbacks
made before the familiar "spouting" sound.
We were close enough to hear this repeatedly.







We were taken to the action of no less than 15 different pods.




2 comments:

MaryLou said...

Wow, you certainly were right up front and center with the whales. Just beautiful.

Lynda said...

What a magnificent adventure. I'm amazed you were able to capture these jumps on film. A treasure to remember a perfect holiday together.