Friday, May 27, 2011

BLOOMING LIKE A ROSE

While staying in St. George, it was exciting to see what a difference a month had made.
When I was there in April, no plants were yet in bloom.
Some of the cacti showed signs and promise of color, but I had no
idea what could happen as a result of the season -end's rain and
just the right temperatures, and 4 weeks!
This time we experienced every possible growing thing in its fullness!

 I know absolutely nothing of these desert growing things, except for their exceptional beauty:
 I cannot give a name to any of them, and that frustrates me.


 One other thing I know is that what might resemble something that blossoms in the Northwest is
definitely not the same plant at all.  Everything pictured here has spines someplace
on its make-up.
This is NOT a wild rose:

A desert cousin to the hydrangea?



 Whoever painted this one was definitely a novice, but
I like its character anyway!
And no, it is not a daisy because here again, it has a prickly stem:


 How would you like to pick this bud?

 Or this one?

 These stalks were over 12 feet high:
 And here is a close-up:

 Lastly, my favorite.  This plant looks like something that
is living under water, or that belongs in "Fantasia".  In the morning breeze, its feathery heads were lighter
than dandelion seeds. They swayed as if affected by a tidal current:

1 comment:

pat said...

Oh my--how lucky you were to be able to be there at bloom time!! All that color and verdure burgeoning forth after the rains. Bloom time in the desert is nearly as hard to predict as optimal leaf-peeping, so you hit the jackpot. I see you even caught a refraction on that lovely blue. :-) It would frustrate me, too, to not know what the flowers were, other than prickly.