Sunday, May 22, 2011

ALL IN A DAY'S DRIVE

There are a few different ways to get from St. George to Moab, Utah, and on Friday the 20th we selected 3 scenic byways and connected them.
What a variety of topography and weather!
These pics are a pot pourri of what we experienced in our 10-hour drive.


 I have drooled over the snow-on-red-rock photos I have seen in magazines.
This day we had snow, and we had red rocks, BUT
we also had low clouds - too thick for the photographer's dream effect:


 It was snowing while I took these pics.

 During my whining about the low clouds ruining my photo ops of the astounding red rocks with snow, this little guy flitted by, as if to say, "You want color? Just watch me!"





Close-up of the "fabric" of some stone:


The following few pics show a plain grey landscape.  These formations looked like the sand heaps the road crews use for icy roads. No, they are hard as....well...rock; and close examination shows they have the texture of elephant skin:



It was as if we spent the day in an immense stock pot, and each of the geological formations were parts of a yummy stew.  So different!  Such variety - chock full of goodness and surprises.



At a shoulder driver-switch stop, this meadowlark performed so loudly we thought he had landed on top of the car.  No trees for him anywhere - he alighted as the final spice to our stew:

1 comment:

pat said...

Oh! What a variety of weather and color and form and texture! Even with the low clouds, the snow/red rocks are stunning. LOVE the mountain bluebird; they are such a vibrant blue. You caught the meadowlark in full trill. I really like the shot of the rolled, folded red rock--all that lovely texture. Needless to say, wish I were there. I've just been "dropping" on my blog...