Wednesday, March 31, 2010

RETURN TO THE PALOUSE

Once again we had the privilege of being invited to visit our oldest grandson and his wife who are at WSU, which is clear over near the Idaho border.  The terraine is beautiful with fallow parchment fields and spring green shin-high wheat, growing in striking alternating stripes.  Of course, I scoped for barns as we drove!
The rolling hills here seem to have produced a rolling barn as well!




Doesn't this just make you want to pick it up under the armpits and say,
"Stand up straight!"


This collection of oldies was located attop a hill with a newer home.  I approached to ask permission to photograph, and I think the young lady took pity on me enough to say "yes", even though I know I took her by surprise.  That's because it was raining hard, I was soaked and dripping, and my feet were mud-covered.

This is another view of the old barn, which seems to be newer, even, than a previous structure, (to the left, on the ground) now flattened to its roof line:

.
I don't know the meaning of the bright goldenrod color(above the door, and on one side); whether the wood has aged that way (i.e.lichen?), or whether the original paint was even brighter. But I like the added character.


Whoa!  What was THAT?  Yes, indeed: a round barn!
Yippee - something different for my collection!
On closer scrutiny we were glad to see that it was not a converted barn-to-house,
but that it is indeed a working barn:


Usually I do not give a barn a second glance if it has a (gag) metal roof.
But this structure had this wonderful old red color and several angles,
and I couldn't resist:

Last of all, just before sunset, this grand old barn caught the goldenrod hue of the sky
as if to underscore the color it had once been:

3 comments:

Lynda said...

I love the first barn and the image of picking it up under its arms. Your words are as colorful and imaginative as your photos. You capture so many of these that seem on the verge of collapse; as if it is the magic moment and the last eye that will ever see it in just that state. It's interesting to me how there is a sense of "forever" about it at the same time there is a sense of transition and passing away. You are a genius. My all-around favorite barn is the round one; I've never seen one like it! - Lynda

pat said...

Oh my goodness---that round barn is the cream of the crop (so to speak!) I know there are a few round barns in the Midwest and back east, but have never heard of any out here. What a find! The tumbledowns are wonderful--all moss-garnished and weathered. I LOVE the light on the last one. Lovely capture!

Anonymous said...

When I see these lonely old barns I always imagine the hustle and bustle of the building of them; the barn-raising, painting, the filling with feed and animals or farm impliments, and people going in and out. I wonder how many generations have gone by...
Judy