Friday, February 8, 2008

NEW CAMERA!

Well, I finally did it! After months of research and saving, I just purchased a dSLR! I chose a Nikon D300. It is just 3 days out of the box, and daunting even to handle. My learning curve is not a curve; it is a perpendicular mountain face! The tulip shots below are with the new macro lens. I must learn about apertures, and so forced myself here to try working with backlighting. Dick brought me some tulips for my experimenting! Here, there were no internal lights, and I did this at dusk this dark 'n stormy day. sooc. I am pretty much a stickler - for myself only - of keeping nature shots sooc.

But if I can't do better than this, I may as well just keep using my Oly point 'n shoot. I will keep experimenting.
What I could never do before now and new lens, is get a shot like this. Griffin, our grandson, was in the 2nd row of cellos for their program at the high school a couple of nights ago. It was my camera's First Night Out! Getting this shot was like doing target practice at moving objects through a hedge.
So I tried to "soften" out the elbows, ears, and arms of other young cellists. Very amaturish. Since I mostly do sooc, I really don't know any techniques for dooding up a photo. For me though, his expressions are keepers!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new toy! Your photos are awesome. I have to add that the photo in your banner is outstanding!!!
Cari

Suzy said...

Congrats on getting a new camera!! That is awesome and looks like your off to a great start!

Kristina said...

Oh, I just love tulips! Congrats on your camera!

heidster said...

I posted something that never came through. I love these - although I now know the story behind G's flushed face :-( poor guy. He looks so intent! Hooray for the new camera.

Melanie said...

Yeah--a new camera!! Your shots look great.

Lauren Hartman said...

Oh my gosh, Mary Lynne I am so excited for you!!! Which macro did you get to go with it? We are going to have to get together and compare notes with the camera. I only got mine about 2 months ago.

Mandy said...

That is SOOO exciting! And I love the flowers...it looks like you are doing such an awesome job with your new camera.

Sara said...

Congrats on your new camera! THe SLR definately has a big learning curve. You may want to keep practicing on stationary objects for now, and use the camera you know and love for important stuff you don't want to miss. I remember being really diappointed with the quality of my photos whenI made the transition to DSLR.

Shooting with a DSLR also means you will be doing some processing, because you no longer have a lab processing your photos and making the corrections for you. As your comfort with your camera grows, the amount of processing will decrease, but there will almost always be at least a little.

I think you did well getting used to the new equipment. Have fun, and keep going!

Jodi said...

wow, I'm totally jealous! that's the camera I'm hoping to get for my birthday. Love your tulip shot. And I like leaving in the other kids to frame your grandson, and his blurry hand really shows how hard he was working. Love his look of concentration!

Becky said...

Wow, those first two look wonderful SOOC! Congrats on your new camera!

Unknown said...

These are some fantastic shots! Esp the first two...wow! vERY TALENTED. tfs. hugs, toni

Liz said...

congrats on your new toy! I am thinking about getting this camera as well.
Love the photo of your GS he looks so serious about his music.