Tuesday, June 10, 2014

HIGHWAY 2 AT LEISURE

I am a native to North-Western Washington, and so many lovely places are second nature to me as destinations.  It occurred to me, however, that Pat would not know of some of them.
So I have made a hit list of waterfalls that she must see.
I took her to Granite Falls (see recent post, below), and last week was the ideal time to visit Deception Falls. 

Highway 2 is a small, winding mountain road which goes through several tiny old railroad whistle-stop towns.  Startup is the first in the line.  We used to joke that it has the name because we are "starting up" the mountains.  Actually, it was named for the founder of the local lumber company in the late 1800s.  

This photo op on a farm road behind Startup caught my eye because of the lines, faded colors, textures:


On the same property:


 Off the highway is a fishermen's favorite place, called Big Eddy where
the Skykomish River indeed makes a wide, powerful curve under the RR trestle:
:


We couldn't believe how green the river water was; but add to that the stunning blue in some places:




Not to be out-done in the green category was the riverbank growth:

1 comment:

pat said...

I had that barn shot, as well, but decided against it. LOVE LOVE the last river-color shot. Well done getting all those varying hues. Excellent!!