Sunday, June 27, 2010

OH! WHAT A MORNING!

Saturday morning, early, was just the right time to get myself down to my own "private" flower garden.  Well, the gardens are not mine at all, and they are not formally "open".  I happen to know the grower who has given me the open invitation to tiptoe amongst the blossoms with my camera any time I want.  How lucky is that?  It would not do for folks to tromp around in there; these flowers are grown for sale in local markets, as cut blossoms.

The poppies are nearly gone, but I got a kick out of these late buds living up
to their name.  I could almost hear them POP!


It looked to me, on these sunflower buds, like gummy threads were keeping them from opening too soon:






PEEK-A-BEE!   The pink poppies were luscious.  And the bees thought so too.  On this first pic, it looks like Mr. Bee is wearing horned-rimmed glasses.

BEE'S KNEES!  They are so packed with purple pollen, they seemed to be wearing moon boots.


3 comments:

pat said...

We'll have to hit this when I get back, since I am sure most of my yard will be browsed to the ground... Fabulous DOF on that first poppy shot! Love the bees, too. Nice captures of the flight dynamics--and loaded legs.

Lynda said...

These are SPECTACULAR! So very hard to pick a favorite, but I think I like the last one with the bee with moon boots of pollen the best. I also really love the red poppy that looks like the bloom is going to accordion out at any moment. I absolutely love these.

Lynda said...

There is nothing like the emergence of a new flower bud, no matter now many times it's been seen before or will be seen again, it brings the same delight. You have really captured that with these shots.

I must say that my favorites are the "in flight" shots of the bees, there wings blurry, descending on their static and helpless catch. Aren't you glad that bees just do what they do, we sure would be in trouble without them!

Brett