Sunday, June 13, 2010

HEARTACHE and a TRIBUTE

Two mornings ago our precious 12-year-old cat, Avvie, was attacked and killed right at our front door by two "large, vicious" (according to a neighbor witness) dogs.  They chased her about 2 blocks and actually pulled her from her safe refuge in a porch hedge.  She did not deserve such a tragic and frightening end.  She still breathed for awhile as I  held her and talked to her.

Avvie, survivor of high-mountain life with cougars and coyotes; comforter of the sick; keeper of the raspberry patch; tolerator of childrens' curiosity and caresses; equally devoted to both myself and husband, to the point that surely she could actually tally time and space; social director for house company.  She was a gentle grand old girl who still had kitten energy at times. 

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Oh, I will miss Avvie! At my first meeting with her, she welcomed me with a warm-hearted purr, and from that moment on, I always looked forward to a little Avvie time. I'll never forget her sweetness in curling up at my feet when we came to stay, or the mutual admiration at Christmas time when I came down to her level on the floor. She even drank out of my water glass when I wasn't looking! She was a sweetheart, and deserved the best. I'll never forget her.