Friday, May 23, 2014

GRANITE FALLS


Earlier this week I invited Pat for a ramble to a place I haven't been for many years, and to where Pat has never been:  Granite Falls.
This is part of the Stilliguamish River that rumbles through a narrow chasm.  It is not a "falls" of great height, but a long cascade over immense granite walls and boulders.

Looking down-river, in sun and shadow:




 Looking up-river to a singularly-tenacious fir tree atop the granite wall: 

Example of the granite and lovely green river:


The granite gorge is fairly  narrow, so we were making photos in the unfortunate situation of stark sun and shade.  
I was working with a new filter, and was quite pleased with the results; experimenting with metering  and settings to make pics of the extreme contrasts that we saw, plus trying to capture "slow" water:




Along the trail to the river, I cannot keep from making photos of Northwest growth: 


I have no idea what this pee-wee growth is - some kind of fungus? - but it was so blush-bright and tiny that it grabbed my attention; I nearly stepped on it. It was no larger than my little fingernail: 



Infant Goats'--beard?  I am not sure.  I don't think I have ever seen Goats'-beard before it is mature:



Quintessential Northwest: flora grows ANY-place!  This tiny fern - about the size of a salad plate - found a foothold in a seam of granite:

A less delicate fern, but still such an art form:

More ferns, as tree coverings:



And back-lit:


Under an arched old root, backwaters reflect the forest growth.   This is not slime, but moving, fresh water:


Here the sun was backlighting young maple leaves, but it was the silhouetted old growth stump that added to the photo op for me:






3 comments:

pat said...

These are wonderful! Love love the milky jade water. Great capture. Glad to see you getting the hang of slow water. Warning. It is addictive. You certainly found lots of lovely new plantlets. We both saw that lone sentinel tree!

periwinkle eye images said...

Responding to Pat: Remember my beloved big Nikon? I had my velvet water settings down pat for that one, b/c I could adjust all my other settings manually. It has been the camera-change that has stumped me; that is, in bright-white situations.

Unknown said...

Due to the fact most of these carriers are working vogue by some time at this point, we have a bunch connected with wide variety you possibly can decide on. fendi handbags outlet No matter if you want handbag, modern hobo or maybe clutches, you can certainly get a big a number of low cost custom made carriers by a variety of internet retailers. Also, just about every case you acquire is included with its very own electric. replica hermes One example is, handbag carriers usually are hip and are also perfect for college or university intending young people the way it facilitates those to secure all of their needs within a simple approach devoid of worrisome the vogue record. fake handbags Also, the unique in addition to asymmetrical form of clutches may make these individuals perfect for hauling while in get-togethers. gucci replica Even so, it is suggested to order by solely well-known in addition to visible internet retailers that gives the modern bunch of clutches. louis vuitton outlet Likewise, make sure look at purchaser opinions previous to generating a acquire.