Saturday, March 1, 2014

QUALIFYING AT THE NISQUALLY


Driving home from visiting friends in south-central Washington, the weather was ideal, being our first sunny and somewhat warm day this year.  I had to stop at the Nisqually Delta where there is a wildlife refuge.  
This is how great the weather was: 




I walked for  more than a couple of hours with my camera:

Looking way up, I spotted nature's own "Dream Catcher":


What luck!!  These little guys, looking like 3 baby monkeys in a row are actually triplet
owlets!  Last year at this same time there were two baby owls.   I hadn't realized the perfect timing of my stop yesterday. I was so excited, I made this photo before even setting up my tripod, in case it would be the only opportunity I got.  I was wishing they would turn around, and then I realized that they were facing the sun, feeling the joy of it for maybe the first time in their lives:



They were surprisingly  active.  Rather, I was surprisingly patient to stay there long enough to watch them move about a few times:






They stretched and fluffed and fluttered their wings, practicing to fledge, already an impressive spread:


This little guy on the left looks about to topple backward:


Their breast feathers looked so very soft, especially tousled by the wind:




1 comment:

pat said...

Jealous!!! SOOOO jealous!!! Sunshine I can handle, but you found owlets?????? Great shots. I wish wish wish I had been there with you!