Friday, June 14, 2013

USELESS BAY OUTING #3 Beach treasures

Can anything be better for the soul than beach-combing?
Puget Sound beaches have an abundance of barnacles; no one dares ever go bare-foot. (That is not the case on the Pacific Beaches where they are not so prolific.  Even so, as a child, I thought barnacles a great nemesis; I remember ankles and knees always bandaged)
Anyway, I now find them more interesting. Some rock hosts almost seem to tell a story - if one could read
barnacle-glyphics.
This rock is the perfect example of still-attached barnacles and permanent marks left behind; 
looks like it is wearing a barnacle tu-tu: 


 Can you "read" this?

Or how about the perfect circle?

I laughed when I saw one on a mussel shell!

This is a Purple Clam shell, and nature had placed a mini butter clam shell
for my photograph:

The cockle shell is symmetrical and almost luminescent:

In this one place were several live Sand-Dollars, which made me happy. 
I have not seen them since childhood on the Pacific beaches.  When they are
dead, the shells are white, and that is what folks collect.

Anything with blue always catches my eye, even
the lowly Mussel Shell:


The artistic Moon Shell:

I couldn't believe the blue coloring of the barnacle imprints 
on this rock, which I called "Hydrangea Barnacles" for fun:

And of course, the rocks which we turned into our signature cairn.
This one has a view of part of the Olympic Range, and is topped off with, 
yes, a barnacled rock:

1 comment:

pat said...

I think one of the best ways to spend a day is beachcombing...and you've found some real treasures. We had a perfect day, didn't we? I love the mix of colors and textures in these.