Friday, August 12, 2011

TALL SHIP IN TOWN

Yesterday morning at Seattle's waterfront we lucked out that a Russian Tall Ship was moored,
 and open to visit


There is something very romantic in getting up close and personal
to a Tall Ship.  Tales of adventures on the high seas, the very beginnings of Seattle's own historic port
make one immediately respect and be in awe of these brave and beautiful ships.

The Russian "Pallada" is swift; the fastest in the world of
its class

I thought I might topple over backwards in order to take these shots, looking aloft, straight up:



Ahhh, a more relaxing shot, off the port side:

And to starboard, my city!

A common mariner's language: 

How do they know which is what?

Looking up again, from down below:

To us, the entire crew looked just like boys
 but they must be burly to handle the bulk and hulk of such a ship:




I studied Russian ages ago, but I never learned how to say "Bon Voyage!"

It was the perfect place to be on a perfect day:

2 comments:

pat said...

What a find!! I can see where viewing this ship and being aboard her transported you back to the early days of Seattle. Your photos really caught the details of the ship wonderfully.

MaryLou said...

I finally get a chance to post a comment on YOUR blog. I am just blown away (no pun intended) with your poetic way with words and your amazing photos. You get shots no one would think of taking and it simply takes your viewers right with you. Thanks for inviting us along!