Thursday, October 30, 2008

AUTUMN AT ITS BEST: ALPINE LOOP, AND A DEDICATION

This posting is dedicated to 2 of my favorite people: our grandson Brett, and his wife, Lynda. Their encouragement for my photography is endless, and since it is always accompanied by love and laughter and lessons, I feel like the luckiest amateur photographer ever!
Luckier still am I when I actually get to go out with them and our cameras, which happened earlier this month when D and I visited them on our way home from an extended trip.
Their surprise outing was a drive on the Alpine Loop above Provo in the Wasatch Mtns.

I do not like to tamper with color, but would rather learn during shooting, so these are SOOC.
Brett, I know we were shooting these from all the same places!
I loved the two-toned ferns:

(I should have put this in a frame first.) But, as we rounded every curve, I sighed and gasped because of the stunning colors. Brett finally stopped here just for me; there was no room to pull off the road:Brett pulled over, having spotted this hawk. He just popped open the top and poked his head and camera right up out of the car. I had to get out, and unfortunagely scared the hawk into flight. This one is for you Brett. The body is in focus, but the wings don't look good. Sometimes flight looks good, but not here:
As we came back down through the canyon to lower elevations, the colors softened, and even in their muted state, I thought they were stunning:

Thank you Brett and Lynda, for stopping the car so many times, including for just the little things!


I call this one, "Here's lookin' at you, Babe!"









3 comments:

Lynda said...

Oh, Grandma! Thank you! These are exquisite, and you DO continue to teach us in so many ways. I love "Babe" and definitely want to learn more about your unique style of getting up close and personal. I also really love the last picture; I have to say that you have made that particular scene look even more beautiful than it did in real life. The trees look so stately and "knowing" - I wonder what they think of our constant scurrying around when they are so "rooted" in the eternal round of the seasons? That quiet assurance that all is well, and going according to plan . . . Love you! Lynda

pat said...

ML--these are just GORGEOUS!!!! I love what you saw, and what you captured. I recognize several of those places; love the Alpine Loop...just stunning colors! Really like the last shot of the trunks, rank upon rank.

Lynda said...

Oh Grandma! We love you so very much! You know, as I meet new people and get to know them and their families, the more I realize that I am not TOTALLY biased in thinking of you as the best Grandma in the world. You truly are THE quintessential "Grandma." The one described in song, poem, bumper stickers ;-) and heart-felt stories told in quiet moments around the fire during the holidays. Moments always filled with happiness and smiles. I don't know how I was so fortunate to be placed under your compassionate care, but I am certainly grateful for it, and hope to take advantage of every moment possible with you. Thank you for the love, care, kindness and joy you have brought to our life. Thank you for the inspiration and support in our endeavor to create beauty through photography. Thank you, most of all, for being you. All my (our) love, Brett